Formal Letter of Introduction

Aaron Ramirez

From some location

To Ms. Rodwell

At some other location

1/30/2023

Dear Ms. Rodwell,

Engineering isn’t an easy major like most other STEM majors. Despite the difficult math classes and lab work, Civil Engineering is my go-to major at this current date. Why Civil Engineering? The most important asset to becoming a civil engineer to me is the money I could be making at the ripe age of 22. Sure, it might not be that simple, however, if I pursue internships and I stay on top of my grades, I should be fine. More specifically I choose Civil Engineering because I prefer relatively hands-off jobs. The idea of getting my hands dirty or getting orders barked at me too much is not something I could cope with for long. Additionally, I feel this position is relatively secure if I am competent.

All that to say is that I see Civil Engineering as an option and not necessarily a dream goal. Ideally, I learn to make money another way and can therefore promise myself more financial liberty. To me, Civil Engineering is the lazy way out, so long as I follow the system and do everything right as I was raised to, I could make a decent living. However, such a living isn’t befitting the lofty ideals and standards my mother raised me and my siblings to have. My long-term goal is to make money, money that can buy me time to spend in beautiful places (specifically a penthouse). Unfortunately, I might not find any way to pursue that result before completing my major or even many years later. Hence the emphasis and security and minimal schooling for my most likely final decision to major in Civil Engineering.

As a Civil Engineer, I am particularly interested in designing residential buildings and would love to work on penthouses. The aesthetic of penthouses and big buildings in NYC is something I admired for a long time. So, if I were to resign my future to the role of a Civil Engineer, I hope to work for a company that specializes in residential building design and construction, or for a consultancy that provides engineering services for this type of project. Even if I don’t get to enjoy beautiful places like a penthouse in NYC, perhaps I could convince myself that being a part of the construction of a penthouse or anything as grandiose is good enough. In this way being a Civil Engineer is important to me because it takes part in the creation of something very valuable to me. Unlike other fields, there is some passion involved in this field for me, since as you can tell, I love skyscrapers and penthouses. Therefore, as Civil Engineer, I see myself being involved in the entire process that goes into constructing residential buildings. It would probably be wise to do it anyway because I’d imagine that teamwork and communication are the only way problems get solved properly in this field. For example, without communicating with an architect I may make the mistake of using a material that doesn’t reflect the architect’s image or vice versa I may have to correct the architectural drawing because it’s unrealistic or unsafe somewhere.

Civil engineering was just a promise to me to at least earn a decent living if nothing else. My ambitions lie more in the result and less in any field that I have in mind. As a Civil Engineer I have plans to construct nice residential areas, however more than that I hope that Civil Engineering can become a valuable stepping stone to the very top of a luxurious penthouse.

Sincerely,

Aaron Ramirez